- Always wear a face shield or safety goggles.
- Wear plastic gloves to prevent acid burns. An apron or smock will protect your clothes.
Working With Acid
- Clean up acid spills immediately using a water and baking soda solution to neutralize (1lb. baking soda in 1 gallon of water).
- Make sure the acid container is clearly marked and the work area is well-lighted and well-ventilated.
- If sulfuric acid is swallowed or splashed in the eyes, treat immediately. Sulfuric acid in the eyes can cause blindness. Serious internal injuries or death can result if swallowed. Used as an electrolyte, sulfuric acid can burn the skin.
ANTIDOTES: For acid on the skin, flush with water. If acid is swallowed drink large quantities of milk or water, followed by milk of magnesia, vegetable oil or beaten eggs. Do not induce vomiting. Call a poison control center or doctor immediately. For acid in the eyes, flush for several minutes with water and seek immediate medical attention.
- When charging conventional batteries, loosen vent caps and ventilate charging area. A buildup of hydrogen and oxygen in the battery or in the charging area can create an explosion hazard.
- If the battery feels hot to the touch during charging, STOP. Allow the battery to cool before charging again. Heat damages the plates, and a battery that is too hot can explode.
- NEVER put the red sealing cap back on the battery once you take it off. If you do, gases will become trapped and could explode.
- Make sure the vent tube isn't kinked or blocked. Otherwise, gases could build up and explode.
- Properly connect the charger to the battery: positive charger lead to positive battery post and negative charger lead to negative battery post. Unplug the charger or turn it off before you disconnect the leads, which will cut down on the chance of sparks.
- ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING, SPARKS OR FLAMES AROUND CHARGING BATTERIES. Charging gives off hydrogen and oxygen, which explode if ignited.